Sunday, November 13, 2005

A very knitful weekend

I am newly obsessed with Noro. I resisted for so long--like I don't have enough yarn obsessions?--but then my mom picked out the Kureyon, and what could I do? I had her scarf almost finished Friday night, but realized that I wanted it a bit longer than it was going to be with only 3 skeins, so I decided to take a trip to the yarn store for another skein on Saturday morning. Then (because you need to know all about my Friday night) I watched a fascinating documentary on WWII carrier pigeons on Animal Planet, which was completely enrossing, except for when the narrator would refer to The Pigeons of War, which made me giggle and not take the whole thing as seriously as I could have. Anyhoo, as I was watching The Pigeons of War, I realized that I would have a lot of yarn left over from a fourth skein so I decided to make my mom some matching handwarmers to go with her scarf. And so I did!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These are Ann Budd's fingerless mitts from Weekend Knitting. To make sure that I would have enough yarn for them, I knitted them first, and then finished the scarf (which ended up being the perfect length) with the fourth skein.

All well and good. But by then I was obsessed with Noro, and a little jealous of my mom's handwarmers. So, like any normal person, I went back to the yarn store and emerged with a skein of Silk Garden. Voila, the Hand/Wrist Warmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts:

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

So soft and warm and shiny. I actually need these desperately because my office is not unlike the arctic tundra--yet I need to type and write there. Fingerless gloves to the rescue!

What I found fascinating about the Silk Garden is that, unlike the Kureyon, there were no color repeats at all.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The skein started and ended with purple, so apparently each skein is roughly one repeat long. I kind of dig it, although if you had asked me beforehand I'd have said that I wouldn't.

Specs

Kureyon Scarf and Mitts
Pattern:
Stacey's My So-Called Scarf and Ann Budd's Fingerless Mitts from Weekend Knitting.
Yarn: Noro Kureyon, Color 150, pretty much every last scrap of 4 skeins.
Needles: Random plastic 11s (scarf) and beautiful ebony Lantern Moon 9s (mitts).
Mods: None for scarf; mitts lengthened from 28 to 35 stitches.
Started: Wednesday, November 9
Finished: Saturday, November 12

Silk Garden Mitts
Pattern: Hand/Wrist Warmers from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Jolle Hoverson (women's version).
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden, Color 82, 1 skein.
Needles: Bamboo Size 8 DPNs.
Mods: Knit upside down. I used the cast-on edge as the top, knit the first 32 rows, divided for thumb, then kept going in pattern until I had used up all the yarn. The equivalent of knitting a sock toe-up instead of top-down, really.
Notes: Don't forget to check errata.
Started:Saturday, November 12
Finished: Saturday, November 12

8 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Those are so pretty! I just came home from work today with some Kureyon to make a felted bag :)

11/13/2005 7:03 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Oooh, very pretty, both sets! And like any normal person, I too will now run to the store for some Noro. I need both of those books, too! I've been gazing at the Last Minute book and the Weekend Knitting book for, like, forever!

11/13/2005 9:50 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I can handle a skein that doesn't repeat. Such randomness might make my head spin a bit. But is it soft? Perhaps softness could make it ok? And I would love to finally make something from my "weekend knitting" book. I've had my eye on those argyle slippers, but have made no progress so far.

11/13/2005 10:40 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Gorgeous projects, all. I love the Noro too - I made some wristwarmers last year that I wear all the time from it.

...Did they really refer to them as 'Pigeons of War'?!

11/14/2005 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Pigeons of War" Hee!
You are a very fast knitter. They look lovely. I have a feeling I will be falling into the well of Noro soon myself -- everyone raves about it so...

11/14/2005 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I keep my pair of Weekend Knitting mitts at work as well (Arctic Tundra indeed!), but mine are boring blue wool, not the lovely Noro! I adore Noro as well...a lot of people are getting Booga Bags for Christmas.

11/14/2005 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you in the back. stop giggling. those pigeons were noble and proud.

isn't noro wonderful? i love the so-called scarf pattern and also the noro mistake rib scarf from last-minute knitted gifts. yum.

11/15/2005 5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Four skeins for a scarf, eh? Darn it, I was going to try to stretch 2 skeins into a scarf. Hmmm... need a new plan.

Yours looks great, though!

11/20/2005 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home