Thursday, October 20, 2005

SnowWatch 2005

The weather.com? It displays this icon for my Monday forecast:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Can you see? It is petite, I know. But it is an image of a cloud with SNOW falling out of it. SNOW. In October. I mentioned this to one of my colleagues and she said "oh, I know--it's so late this year." GAH!

Now, here's the thing. I heart snow, I really do, and one of the things I found most consoling about moving to Michigan was the prospect of living in a winter wonderland. You know--no friends, no boyfriend, no tacos, but at least I would have nice snowy romps with my dog. But now that it appears that winter here starts in the fall (and lasts right on through spring), I find I'm just not ready. I'm really not. I do find it hard to believe that it actually will snow on Monday, given that the forecasted low is 38, but it will be here soon, so to prepare myself with cheerfulness, I announce: A Contest.

WHEN WILL THE FIRST SNOWFALL BE?

To enter, leave your guess in the comments by Oct 25. Winner will receive nice yarny prizes, (if they are a yarny friend) or something nice and not yarny (if they are a not-yarny friend). The first snowfall, by the way, is to be construed as the first snowfall that is actually seen by me, i.e. the first time I personally witness snow falling, or the first time there is indisputable visual evidence that snow has fallen overnight.

Whenever it is, I hope I have Hourglass done by then.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There's actually less of it now than there is in that picture, since I frogged back to add more decrease rounds--it was just too big. It's also a darker orange than it appears in the picture. It's Rowanspun Aran in Autumn: burnt orange with nice tweedy flecks.

And for those keeping track?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
"ARRRR! I'm a scary pirate now, mateys!"

amandamonkey noted that Bailey seems to be bearing up cheerfully despite the injury. It's the drugs, people, the drugs. And the fact that she is a total ham for the camera, which might be due to the fact that she usually gets a biscuit for posing.

Finally, speaking of amandamonkey and contests, check out "What Would You Do For Your Knits?". Would you fish your mitten out of a toilet? I sure as hell would not, and that is why I will not win Amanda's contest.

15 Comments:

Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Yes we will have some snow real soon - it is quite cold here today actually. I heard that we would get snow early this year and lots of it over the course of the winter - apparently that's what the almanac is saying. I'm going to guess Oct. 26th - next Wednesday. Hopefully, just a few flakes - nothing that sticks around. ;-)

10/20/2005 3:50 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Me again - forgot to say how much I love the pirate!

10/20/2005 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess that the snow will wait until next friday to fall, October 28, an won't stick around. But then the weather will totally suck on halloween night, when it will snow or probably rain, just to mess with the kiddies. So i'm going with October 28 around 4pm the snow will fall.

10/20/2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

ok! The pirate is my very favorite thus far. Ahoy, Bailey!

As for your contest, if the question is When will snowflakes fall out of the sky?, I think I will guess October 30 (the weather bees are usually not *that* precise). If the question is When will enough fall to stick in the grass for more than one hour?, my answer is November 4.

As for winter lasting from fall to spring, I hear you. The first winter I moved from San Antonio to Chicago, I had only two pairs of serviceable socks and no real winter jacket. Winter that year lasted from September until June and boy was it tough. I feel for you.

10/20/2005 4:46 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Not sure if my last comment went through, but I guessed Oct 24th at 11 pm. And happy snow romps with Bailey!

10/20/2005 7:30 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

yes, well, again I am the one fantasizing about fall, which simply never happens here. we briefly fantasized about making mexican hot chocolate after dinner tonight. I thought about the Abuelita hiding in the cupboard (you know, not literally my gramma, but the chocolate tabs). Nah, I said. We'll make it when the weather dips below, mmm, oh let's just say 70 degrees.

I'm gonna bet on snow coming Nov. 2, Dia de los Muertos. 3 pm.

your hourglass sweater looks great! i have some yarn that I think would work well for that, except it's this weird stretchy wool that the label promises will shrink by 10% lengthwise once its washed. Aw man! Even the easy math scares me.

10/21/2005 1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ewww... I wouldn't fish anything out of the toilet, and definitely not a mitten. Although I guess one would have to find some way of transferring it to the trash, because I'm pretty sure mittens are not so flushable.

All your cute Bailey photos are making me want to get a dog of my own :)

10/21/2005 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to claim Halloween, October 31, first snow. Because there has to be bad weather when all the kids are trying to show off their costumes, right? Good luck braving the winter!

10/21/2005 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting! Sorry to say, you're not my swap pal, but maybe next time! I have a ton of sock scraps.
As for the snow, I guess Tuesday the 25th, when you wake up, you will see snow.

10/21/2005 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn... I wanted to say Halloween night, but looks like someone already got it. Howabouts Nov 1st??
I'm lovin Baliey's new cast!!

10/21/2005 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, heck, I'll guess October 29th, because no one else has yet.
Heh. Late this year...
Enjoy.

10/21/2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Avast ye hearties, I declare that the first snow will fall on November 3! And I wish our rain last week (in NY) had been snow - we'd be ears deep right now!

10/21/2005 2:56 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I know what ya mean about the whole snow thing - in Houston, we're still waiting for the *@$%?! heat to piss off, and I'm thrilled that we're going to have a high of only 79 today. Snow is something I long for... or something I think I long for, anyway. But snow in October... hmm, I'd probably feel the same way as you do. So I'm going to go for Oct. 27th. Hopefully I'm wrong and it'll stay away until November, at least. But look at it this way - you'll get to knit lots of cuddly, woolly sweaters, hats, scarves, gloves, etc. I'm a bit jealous, actually. :)

10/22/2005 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think anybody's taken Nov. 2nd, so that's what I'm predicting. Not sure we'll even see any snow down here at all -- we didn't last winter. Hourglass looks good, and I'm glad to see you finally got some more furniture. :)

10/22/2005 10:41 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I love the pirate!

My condolences on the impending Michigan winter. :) I don't miss those. Sure, we had a blizzard here on October TENTH, but since then, it's been in the 60's!

Has anyone taken October 27th? I'll take that date. :)

10/25/2005 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home