Wednesday, September 28, 2005

SGP: All Is Revealed

So the Secret Gift Project that I've been showing you dribs and drabs of for the past couple of months? Now that my dad has officially opened the box, here's the whole thing:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Surprise! It's a cabled vest! I'm going to do the final project wrapup here, although, now that my dad has tried it on and proclaimed it "just a little bit too short" it's not quite finalized. Sigh.

Pattern: Donegal Tweed Vest, by Kathy Zimmerman, from Spring '05 Interweave Knits.
Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed in Granary (brown with multicolored tweedy flecks)
Needles: Size 6 Addis for body, size 5 Addis for bottom, neck, and armhole ribbing.
Alterations: None so far, but I'll be ripping back to the armholes and adding in 2 inches to the torso.
Recipient: My dad, on the occasion of his 65th birthday.
Notes: I love, love, love the fabric that this yarn produced. I didn't love the yarn itself so much, and in fact it felt kind of acrylic-y and not so soft when I started working with it, but after spending some quality time with Eucalan, the vest itself is super, super soft (as befits the yarn's silk and cashmere content) and kind of felty (which I'm hoping won't impede the ripping back). I'm really (sniff) happy, in fact, that this yarn is discontinured because otherwise I would be compelled to buy thousands of dollars' worth. Stitch markers made all the difference on this project--I made a few stupid pattern mistakes at first but once I figured out that I should use markers between every pattern repeat it was totally intuitive and easy. I could see adapting the cable pattern here to a cardigan in the future...

5 Comments:

Blogger amandamonkey said...

That is completely gorgeous! Too bad you have to rip it back...

9/28/2005 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, that vest looks great! sorry to hear about bailey, but she sure is rockin' that pink bandage.

9/28/2005 10:12 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

it's gorgeous! I wanna make a mini-one for myself (isn't there something like that in the latest IK?).

9/28/2005 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!
Aren't you the best daughter, making your dad a vest...

9/29/2005 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have renewed my desire to make this vest! Now, if I could just turn my hubbie into someone who would wear a sweater vest... :)

9/30/2005 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home