Sunday, September 25, 2005

A Bad Day for Bailey

We had quite an adventure yesterday, the little one and I--we were going for our usual morning walk on a wooded path where she is allowed to be off leash. It's about a mile around, there's a pond with ducks in the middle, and the woods are full of squirrels and chipmunks; it's really everything that a dog could want. But as we found out yesterday, it's also full of sharp things: about a quarter of a mile in, Bailey jumped over a log and landed on something that severed an artery in her paw. Let me tell you--carrying a 55-pound, frightened, squirming dog who is spurting blood for a quarter of a mile is not something I wish on anyone. I had ripped some strips of cloth off my t-shirt and tried to tie up her paw, but it wasn't making the least difference, and by the time we got back to the road, I was soaked in blood and actually starting to worry that she was going to bleed to death, since there was still half a mile back to my car, plus going home and finding an emergency vet, plus getting to the vet. Luckily, a man pulled over and gave me a ride back to the car, and then not only knew where an emergency vet was, but offered to have me follow him there, called ahead so that they knew I was coming, and then waited with me in the office until we knew that she was going to be ok--restored my faith in humanity, especially because I must have looked like an insane, possibly murderous person coming out of the woods, given the amount of blood that was on me.

The upshot, after $500 and five hours at the vet, is that she will be fine: she had to be anesthetized so they could go in and suture the artery, but the sutures worked, and although she lost a good bit of blood--seriously, when I carried her in, the vet tech took one look at me and went straight to the back and came out with a pair of scrubs and some rubbing alcohol and made me go to the bathroom and take my clothes off and clean all the blood off and wear the scrubs instead--she seems to be bouncing back. But yesterday she was so groggy from the anesthesia and the morphine they gave her that she lay like this

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

for five straight hours, just staring at nothing and crying. It worried me. So of course I channeled my anxiety into knitting, and finally finished Cozy, all, er, 9 feet of it. I might have gone a little overboard:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I was going to do a modeled shot, but I was too lazy to shower, and my hair is sticking up in all kinds of weird places. Plus, I put it around my neck and got really hot, and had to take it off right away. I think this is going to be a winter scarf, not a fall one, or else it is going to take up residence in the coldest place on earth, also known as my office.

Final Project Details
Pattern: Cozy, by Danielle Schoonover, published at knitty.com
Size: width 18 inches; length about 9 feet.
Alterations: 7 repeats rather than 14
Yarn: Misti Chunky Baby Alpaca, Shade 707, purchased at Threadbear Fiber Arts, 4.5 skeins
Needles: Size 15 bamboo circs
Recipient: Me!
Notes: I like the lace pattern, and would definitely make it again, but if I were using the same yarn, I would use size 13s rather than 15s and go wider and shorter--more of a stole than a scarf. I would also like to try it in a finer yarn, as in the original pattern.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY!!! I am at JPs, and just read that and grabbed for my phone, which appears to be at home in my other bag (the ACL bag, which is your old backpack!)...so I can't call and express my shock and worry in person. What a bad day!

I'm glad you had knitting to keep you occupied. Poor little Bailey. Things are hard. (And sharp, apparently). good god.

9/25/2005 10:29 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Oh, I am so so so sorry - I'm so glad you and Bailey were so lucky to find the random, kind stranger.

Give her a scratch under the chin for me.

:-(

9/25/2005 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ps. I guess in a week you'll be over the scary images and will able to chuckle at the extreme amounts of trouble that little hapless doggie gets in...I can't say it doesn't bring back some childhood memories...my mom and dad used to call me "accident prone" when I was a kid (the people at the hospital were suspicious and thought my mom might be abusing me because I got injured so much).

9/25/2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh my goodness, that is so sad. Poor Bailey!! I'm so glad the stranger was so kind to you both.

9/25/2005 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally empathize with your scary experience--about 10 months ago my dog chewed through a laptop cord and was zapped. She was on her back screeching until we unplugged the cord. First, one of my friends tried to pry her jaws open, and she got zapped a little, too. Of course it happened on a Saturday night, the one random night that there was no on-call vet in my area. We had to take her almost an hour away to the emergency vet, and she had to spend the nght there. I showed the vet the cord, and he told me that she was lucky to be alive. It was really scary! So she and I both send our good thoughts your way! SP

9/25/2005 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Bailey! And poor you, because that sounds like an awful experience. I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay. I hope Bailey has a swift recovery.

9/25/2005 11:56 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'm so glad Bailey is okay. Thank goodness that stranger helped you. Hope Bailey is back on her feet soon!

9/25/2005 2:31 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

OH my gosh Ashley! i am so thankful that Bailey is okay. I would freak if that happened to me... especially since you were on a trail and all. Glad Bailey has such a good mama.. and I am so happy to hear that man was so nice. Take care :)

9/25/2005 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bailey! ashley! thank goodness you are both ok. *treats for bails*

9/26/2005 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Ashley! That is so scary. I'm so glad you met a good samaritan on the way. And that you had something to channel your anxiety into yesterday. And most of all that Bailey is bouncing back today. I hope you are as well.
Best luck to you.

9/26/2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Poor Bailey!! That is so scary...I often worry about that when Otis goes tearing off into the underbrush on our walks. So far so good - I hope nothing like that ever happens - I couldn't carry out 80 pounds of dog! I'm glad to hear Bailey will be ok - give the poor pup a belly rub from me.

9/27/2005 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Bailey! How traumatic for you. We're fairly new pet owners, and have only had one trip to the emergency vet that my husband handled. All I know is that when I got home, he looked absolutely shaken, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as your experience.

9/27/2005 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home