Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Done ahead of time!

A full 12 days before the mailing date, no less--I won't even have to send it priority! (I am a notorious late sender of all presents, not just hand-knit ones.) Here's a mysteriously blurry glimpse; the whole thing will make its debut in a couple of weeks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That ribbing made my hands cry, by the way. I know I promised to work only on the SGP until it was done, but I had to keep stopping and working on Cozy instead, just so I wouldn't get tendonitis. I'm almost done with Cozy too; I'm in the last ball of yarn, so I should finish that up soon--which means it is time to start something new! So last night I swatched, dutifully:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

From right to left: 8s, 7s, 6s, 5s. Shooting for 4.5 stitches and 6 rows per inch. On the 8s, I got 3.5 stitches and 5 rows per inch. On the 7s 4 stitches, 5 rows. On the 6s, 4 stitches, 6 rows. On the 5s? 4 stitches, 6 rows. WTF? How can I have absolutely no change in stitch gauge, and barely any in row gauge between a 7 and a 5? (Yes yes, that 1 stitch will add up, I know.) HATE YOU GAUGE. I refuse to go down to a 4; I just refuse. What I am going to do is some maths to see if I can knit a smaller size in the bigger gauge. Hopefully that will work out.

What's the project? Wait and see, my pretties, wait and see. As a hint, I will say that the yarn is Bartlett's Rangeley 2-ply in Blackberry (so pretty! scratchy, but pretty), and that I am scared but so excited to start this sweater!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what pretty yarn on both projects! I can't help you much with the gauge stuff... I am a gauge idiot.

9/13/2005 1:58 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I hate gauge, too. In fact, I hate it so much that I haven't knit up too many fitted things (the most fitted being the 'Skully' sweater from S&B. Ummmm.....).

The mysteriously blurry photo is so enticing. I like the little orange and blue nubs in the yarn.

9/13/2005 2:50 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I can't wait, I can't wait! The yarn looks so lovely though :)

9/13/2005 4:17 PM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

I am so jealous! I can't wait to see it! I know I knit this fast, but since you emailed, I am only one diamond ahead! I am working on this project tonight...hopefully finishing up next week.

9/13/2005 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are pretty, pretty yarns.

You are such a good secret keeper! I have the hardest time not blabbing everything early, even (especially) if I'm the only one who thinks it makes a good surprise!

Good luck with the gauge!

9/14/2005 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where, oh, where is your SP6 Questionnare? I was SO excited to open my email and find the name of the person I get to spoil for the next few months! So I jumped online to find out all about your favorite things, but I don't see your questionnare. Help!! I can't WAIT to start finding goodies for you!
SP6

9/14/2005 5:50 PM  
Blogger The MacKay Way said...

Pretty yarns ----
I tried to read your SP6 questionaire... but it's cut off at #11? :-(
I'll have to check back!
Cheers!

9/15/2005 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swatch yarn is beautiful... can't wait to see what it becomes!

9/16/2005 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he is going to love it. i would. what yarn is it (the vest)?

9/20/2005 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home