Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Perks

Lest y'all think it is nothing but doom and gloom around here, there are some things that I am very much enjoying about Michigan life, not least of which is my new apartment. Quite honestly, any apartment would be better than my rat-and-flea infested slum in Austin (no, I'm not joking--it's a wonder I don't have the Black Plague, honestly). But this place is really super-nice--it's an old Victorian that's been converted into two apartments. My landlords live upstairs, so the place is very well-cared for, and it's full of lovely architectural details that make me feel like a rich person, even though, well, not so much. Here's a detail of the carving on the living room fireplace:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And here's the bedroom:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sadly, both are non-functional, but they're still pretty to look at. Even the door hinges are beautiful:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So that is one nice thing about Michigan. There are plenty more--I'll tell you about them later.

In the meantime, Cozy continues apace. Here is 1.5 skeins' worth as modeled by the Bean:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

She is sitting on her fancy new bed, which cost an arm and a leg, and which I bought her specially so she would not have to lie on hardwoods all the time. Naturally, she hates it and won't go near it unless I bribe her with a treat. Damn dogs. So willful.

I'm off to Pennsylvania for a week, so expect intermittent blogging for the next little bit. Hopefully when I come back there will be a finished pair of Sockapal-2-za socks to show!

6 Comments:

Blogger amandamonkey said...

She looks completely adorable, and I like the details of your new place.

Don't worry about the bed - she'll probably destroy it while you're away. ;-)

Have a great trip.

8/18/2005 1:59 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Beautiful woodwork, beautiful Cozy, beautiful model. Hi Bailey!! Why does it always have to be the expensive things that they shun?

8/18/2005 3:05 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

What a nice apartment! I love it.. Aww... cute pup picture! Have a great trip :)

8/18/2005 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plus it's MIchigan, I imagine you can wear more wool in Michigan then Texas.

The place sounds wonderfull, I love old houses.

8/18/2005 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's your birthday? Happy birthday!
Bailey looks quite happy in Cozy. (And at least she condescended to sit on the bed long enough for a picture...)
Have a great time in PA!

8/21/2005 8:22 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

i've just moved as well, into a very charming apt. in the hood... thus, the cheapish rent. i'm happy as can be!
my apt. does not have such beautiful details as yours, with pretty hinges and carvings, but, it's soooo wonderful, with lots of light and refinished floors! and, it's ALL mine :)
i wish you the best in your new home. my 'dining room' is my bedroom. (the ball winder and swift are still in boxes)
happy knitting!

9/12/2005 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home