Thursday, July 07, 2005

Things I Will Miss in Austin (Part 1)

Since I'm leaving here soon, I thought I should record some things that I will miss most when I am in Michigan (less than a month now!). Perhaps a weekly Thursday installment?

First, the #0 breakfast taco at Mi Madre's, aka Nature's Most Perfect Food:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I don't know where they get their bacon from, but my best guess is Heaven.

Also, the Michelada at El Chile:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If you aren't familiar, the michelada is a mixture of beer and lime juice, seasoned with chili rub. It is delicious, and at El Chile it comes in what is referred to as a "schooner." I will say only that I need two hands to lift the schooner safely.

You might have observed that the michelada is hanging out with my Dani's Earth Day Yarn sock. The Broadripples are coming along as well, but the Earth Days are better traveling companions since they are straight stockinette and require nothing in the way of maths. (Yes, I consider counting math. That is how I am.) I am currently carrying them around in a pencil case that I found at Borders and am completely enamored of:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's the perfect size for 7" DPNs, and in case you didn't notice, it features a warthog wearing a dinner napkin:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tres charmant!

(I'm focusing on charming and delicious things here as a means of forgetting what happened in London this AM. But in truth I have been sick and sad all day because of it. And listening to Bush pontificate about "bringing the culprits to justice" makes me feel nauseated and miserable--almost as miserable as the attacks themselves. These are not good times.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a B. I. G. drink. Two hands? Eek.
Good lookin' sock! And so social, too! :-)

7/08/2005 1:09 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Yeah, when I moved to Boston, the thing I missed most from Lehigh was this incredible drive through coffee place called Mocha Mikes (though my bf contests that I am better off now since I hardly drink coffee).

Cherish it all while it lasts!

Oh, and the sock is looking beautiful!

7/08/2005 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, Bush is going to bring those guys to justice just like he brought Bin Laden to justice, huh?
I love that pencil holder, too!
-SP

7/09/2005 2:18 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

man, I love a good michelada! I guess they probably don't have those in Michigan, eh? Incidentally, are you starting a teaching job in MI?

7/10/2005 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, I've been doing a bit of moving and missing this year. I've been to Applebee's and other chain stores more times than I can count as I've been trying to find my way around a new city. But slowly I'm starting to find that the new place has some character of its own, too. What is bringing you to Michigan?

7/12/2005 10:54 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

I saw that same little tin at Borders the other day as I was checking out, and thought, "Hmm, I wonder if I could fit some dpn's in there?" Thanks to you, now I know that I can. I've been looking for the perfect container for a portable "socks only" emergency kit for #1 through #3 dpns, a finishing needle, and a scrap of yarn & crochet hook for a provisional crocheted cast-on. Right now I only keep a spare #2 dpn in the pocket of my car door, just in case I lose one. It's come in handy already before!

7/13/2005 12:15 AM  
Blogger The Stitchin' Sheep said...

Before leaving Austin, you must try the Sangrita over at Trudy's. So yummy. It's a mixture of a sangria and a margarita. That, as well as some other things, is what I miss about Austin. Oooh, you've got me thinking about stuff now. How dare you start this. I could reminisce all night now.

7/13/2005 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home