Monday, August 15, 2005

Yarn makes things better.

Moving + breakup + sad family news + extremely vicious head cold have all conspired to keep me from blogging. Just haven't felt much like it, and haven't had much to blog about, knitwise. Not that I haven't been knitting--I finished the back of my Secret Gift Project, which felt accomplish-y (but perhaps I should finish the front before I feel truly accomplished), but since it's secret, it doesn't make for especially good blog fodder.

But yesterday, I thought to myself, "self, what cheers you up better than a trip to a yarn shop?" And since I have long thought that one of the big plusses to moving to Michigan was the relative proximity of the glorious Threadbear Fiber Arts, I hit up Mapquest, hopped in my car ($2.70 gas notwithstanding) and off I went to Lansing, Michigan. Yep, it's about an hour away. Yep, it's totally worth it. (Plus I used the time to listen to the ever-delightful Sarah Vowell's latest, Assassination Vacation, on the Pod.) First of all, Matt and Rob were just as nice as pie--I hadn't been in the store three minutes before Matt came up and to say hello and introduce himself and his little Tater Tot of a dog, who sat right down on my feet and demanded pats, which I was happy to provide. I love me a yarn store dog, I must say, although one time Stella at Hill Country Weavers did decide to use the skein of Koigu I was toting around as a tug toy. Anyway, super nice people, who UNDERSTOOD (Rob: "So where did you move from?" Me: "Austin" Rob: "Ohhhhhh. Sorry.") and who, I guess more importantly, had a phenomenal selection of yarn AND a phenomenal sale--15% off everything. Whee! Sale! I will admit that it crossed my mind to pick up a Colinette Ab-Fab throw kit, but I held firm. (Honestly I think most Colinette yarns look like expensive barf, but I, like my style guru Anna, love me an Ab-Fab throw.).
Instead I picked up a bunch of loot for my secret pal:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And, naturally, a bunch of very fall-themed loot for me:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Shepherd Sport in yummy yummy chocolate, and a buttload of Misti Chunky Alpaca in a sort of tomatoey-burnt orange color. This yarn--so soft, so lofty, so impossible to resist. Seriously, I touched it, and that was it. I had no choice. I drove home with my hand buried in the bag that it was in. I dare you: if you ever see some of this in a store, touch it, and then don't buy it. You won't be able to. Sure, it's sheddy and probably it's going to pill like a mofo, but I. Don't. Care.

It is becoming something that I have had bookmarked for a while, but hadn't found the right yarn for: Cozy

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mmmm. Cozy indeed. I can't wait to be snuggled up in this on a crisp fall day at the farmer's market.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yarn does always make one happy, that's for sure. Well hopefully you'll settle in and find some happiness in Michigan, the fall colors are beautiful if that helps. Of course you probably knew that.

A tator tot dog, now this I'd like to see. I love a store with pets period. My dad's print shop growing up and a print shop cat, Pica.

8/15/2005 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beastly time you've been having... so glad you managed to find a pick-me-up, cozy is going to be beautiful (and cosy).
a
x

8/15/2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger laurie said...

ah i'm glad you decided to go to threadbear (especially since there was a sale on this past weekend lol)...there is something theraputic about yarn stores, theirs in particular--even though i go in often, and no matter how long i stay, i always feel better for having gone.

your secret pal is very lucky (and appears to be nearly as purple-addicted as i am lol)...i'm envious ;o)

your misti 'cozy' is lovely...i don't doubt that it'll be perfect come fall...hmm...how did i miss this pattern anyway...

8/15/2005 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yarn does make things better =) I once had an incident with Cashmerino Superchunky that sounds a lot like your encounter with Shepherd Sport. I, however, have yet to actually make anything with my yarn. Sometimes I just like to pick it up and squish it.

Moving and life changes can be really hard, especially when they hit you at the same time. Hope things look up soon!

8/15/2005 10:49 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Oh Ashley... I hope things start to get better really soon. Yarn does make things better though. I am sorry you are going through all of this, but just remember that change is a good thing (its just gotta be!) and that you will start to feel more at home every day. We're here for you!

8/16/2005 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back in the virtual world! Cozy looks wonderful, and well worth any potential shedding. Hope you feel better soon and start to get settled.

8/16/2005 1:57 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

ahhh... I agree, nothing cheers you up like a good old yarn sale! think of it this way - it's a lot more fun to knit when you live in a cold climate because making wool sweaters/shawls/hats/gloves etc. isn't a waste of time like it is here in Texas! Your Cozy looks like it will be fabulous... have fun. :)

8/16/2005 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you've had bad news and bad life things. It looks like the yarn made for excellent therapy; you certainly got quick-started on the Cozy! Hugs from an "imaginary" friend -- I hope you feel better (physically & emotionally) soon!

8/16/2005 10:20 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Yarn always makes me feel better too - I do hope things come around for you. Cozy is going to be fabulous - perfect for wrapping up in this fall. :-)

8/17/2005 4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, you sound so much like I have after moving to Indiana this year. It's rough--the moving and missing mixed with the leaving of a particularly cool place.

If it makes you feel any better, after one year living here I was able to give up the cable. Not that you'd ever need to give up the cable, I'm just saying, after a year, it didn't seem so necessary. That's gotta be a good sign, right?

Hmmm... and Lansing isn't all that far from me either... maybe next time I'm feeling homesick I should take a Yarn Therapy trip, too...

8/17/2005 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, I wish I were on the recieving end of your SP exchange! That yarn is very pretty! BTW.... didn't you just have a birthday???
-SP

8/19/2005 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo so very jealous you get to go to threadbear now! yay! And you will find new friends soon too - maybe look around for a knitting night. It took me 5 months to get up the guts to go to one here, but I finally did. ANd in the meantime, you can renew the lost art of letter writing with your friends in Austin. I could send you some fun cards if you email me your snail mail addy! :-)

8/26/2005 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home