Sunday, July 17, 2005

Things I Will Miss In Austin (Part 2), and a Finished Sock

3. Bailey's Dog Parks

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Austin has 13 leash-free parks, many of which incorporate creeks and lakes--just the thing for those 120-degree days. Our favorite is Redbud Island (pictured above), which is great because the dogs have the run of the whole entire island--play field, woody middle, and lots of mud (and ducks to chase) on the edges. As I've learned, Grand Rapids does have a dog park (and it even has its own blog), but it's only a fenced-off portion of a city park, and I'm afraid it just won't be the same.

4. Redbud Trees

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Austin is covered with these in the spring (or the two brief weeks that pass for spring around here) and they make me so happy. I love a flowering tree. I know that there are actually plenty of equivalents in the north, so I won't feel totally deprived, but I will miss the redbuds.

*****

Sockapal-2-za sock #1 is finished!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sorry the pic is so dark--it showed the cable better than the shot with truer color. I'm going to have to figure out how to block these before I send them out; when they're not filled with diet coke cans (the leg is exactly 2 cans tall, although they'll be shorter once they're stretched around something wider than a diet coke can, e.g. a leg), they look like a crumpled mess, since the braid section pulls in so much. Has anyone used those plastic sock blockers? Are they adjustable for size?

Off to pack 4 boxes, and then I can start toe #2 as a reward. Packing. Bah.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I move way too much, so I feel your pain. Packing sucks. At least your sock looks kick ass! :)

7/17/2005 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty (tall!) cable-y sock!

There's tons of redbud around me, maybe your new home will have some also.

And at least you can take, um, comfort that you & Bailey will be providing much entertainment to the dogless at the new dog park. ;-)

7/18/2005 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that park sounds really nice, Abner would have so much fun there! Oh I love my red bud tree, I live near St. Louis and we have them, but I'm afraid they may not go as far North as Grand Rapids. BUt I love Grand Rapids too. I have friends that live not far from there, well actually they are my parents' friends.

The socks look great!

7/18/2005 2:43 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Wowie - what a sock! You are really doing a lot of work for your pal. What a good sock pal you are. :)

7/18/2005 5:36 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

...the thing that I miss about south Texas is Enchanted Rock and the thing that I miss most about Austin is the music and the bats. and 'cantinas'. oh yeah, and drive-thru margaritas at Taco Cabana, and bean and cheese from TC's. and flamenco dancers at the missions in San Antonio....

::sigh:: you will find new, fantastic things in MIchigan, but I certainly understand leaving your heart (and stomach!) behind as you move. Good luck.

7/19/2005 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, wait a second... you can't move yet - we still need to meet and knit and stuff!Oh well, I guess it's okay if you absolutely must.

7/20/2005 9:20 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

:-( I hate packing (and moving) too. Hopefully, I won't have to do it ever again. Do people do that anymore though? Live in the same house for 50 years? I'd like to give it a try. The cable socks came out great - I think they're perfect sock pal socks. Not over the top but not too conservative either.

7/20/2005 9:22 AM  
Blogger laurie said...

they may not bloom as early, or as long...but i promise you, redbuds bloom and grow in michigan :o) someplace i've got some shots of a huge one on the michigan state campus that looked like it belonged in a japanese painting...i used to drive past it every spring to get my 'redbud fix'

in any case, i'm sure you'll find them in grand rapids too!

very impressive sock...i'm sure your pal will be thrilled :o)

7/21/2005 1:18 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Wow, those dog parks sound amazing... I am sad for you, but know there are lots of wonderful things to come!

What a great sock :)

7/21/2005 11:03 AM  
Blogger The Stitchin' Sheep said...

Ooh, ooh. Look what I found for blocking your socks, which look great, by the way...

http://www.needletrax.com/blockers.htm

8/14/2005 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home