Thursday, October 06, 2005

Can I get a hell yeah?

The hood of the Rogue, she is successfully grafted.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I would be lying if I said that I had not been fearing this step, but you know what this sweater is teaching me? That if I stop working myself up about things that seem too hard, I can do them perfectly well. This, actually, is one of the things that blogging is not good for--if there is a collective internet freakout (shall we call it an anxiety meme?) about, say, grafting the hood of Rogue, then I think it is somewhat natural for me to also freak out. But there is no need. My tension is a teeny bit wonky in some places, but overall it looks great, if I do say so.

Of course blogging is also good for many things, one of which is seeing how other people dealt with their Rogue-hood-grafting anxieties, and luckily, Lauren kept excellent notes which reassured me a) that the offset stitch at the stockinette/reverse stockinette transitions is inevitable, and b) that I was Kitchenering the rev st st sections the proper way, which is to reverse the directions for st st Kitchener (i.e. if it says "as if to purl," work as if to knit, and vice versa).

Can we take a moment, by the way, to marvel at Kitchener stitch? I don't do it very often, since my socks are toe-up usually, and I like mattress stitch at the shoulders of sweaters for stability, but it is really an amazing thing. Kind of a pain in the ass to do, but an amazing thing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

It looks fantastic! The offset thing freaked me out a bit, but I don't think there's any way around it.

10/06/2005 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH hell yeah!
That is some nice grafting, bay-BEE.
[ahem]
That is, it looks lovely, Ma'am.

10/06/2005 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here here re kitchener. i clearly remember the first time I kitchenered, blindly following the instructions, and being so amazed. Still don't understand quite how it works. I can't believe you're going to give that beautiful Rogue away. You will attract extremely good knitting karma for that.

10/06/2005 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rockin!!! Your hood looks great! Let's see the whole sweater now, with that gorgeous yarn!

10/06/2005 4:35 PM  
Blogger susoolu said...

Hell yeah too, and hell yeah again. You are giving this away?!? Mucho knitting good karma.

One day I'll make Rogue, and Eris, maybe Samus, oh, and some more lace, and more socks, and mo.....

10/07/2005 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you kick ass!! your rogue looks incredible!!
I definitely agree about the kitchener stitch. I'm also partial to the 3 needle bind-off...
rock on!! SP

10/08/2005 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home