Sunday, October 16, 2005

In which my dog is treated like a piece of knitting.

At the vet's office on Saturday morning:

Vet: So, her paw is looking much much better--the incision is starting to heal really well.
Me: Wow, that's great. Why do you think the stitches took this time? Luck? Time?
Vet: Well, we used a different type of stitch to hold the pad closed this time. It's called mattress suturing? It holds things together really tightly, and tucks the edges of the cut under.
Me: Oh, mattress stitch. I was just doing that last night.
Vet: ???


Go figure. I actually feel reassured by this, since if I am ever in a situation where somebody needs emergency stitches, and I am the only person around, I can just mattress-stitch them up and call it a day. Knitters: good to have around in a crisis.

Also at the vet's office on Saturday, Bailey got some seasonal decorations:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And this is why I love my vet: When the techs brought Bailey out, she was like, "a spooky boo monster! you made her a spooky boo monster!"

Not at the vet's office, but also on Saturday, I finished the Rogue.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

At least the knitting part. But in a few days I will be able to sew it up (with mattress stitch!) and send it off, after which there will be proper photos. Wasn't I so totally secretive about my secret gift project? Luckily, the recipient is not a computer-y person.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Oh Bailey... and matress stitch! hell yeah, knitters are good to have around!

10/16/2005 7:16 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

The Rogue looks great - I can't wait to see the finished product.

So, maybe it's my biased view (I only see 1 or 2 photos of Bailey per week), but she seems really happy in all of the cast photos. Is it possible she has a crush on someone at the vet's office and that she's taking so long to heal on purpose?

Either way, I'm glad to hear the mattress stitch is holding.

10/17/2005 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty, pretty Rogue...
I love that you startled the vet.
And Bailey's seasonal decorations are cute. I hope her good healing continues!

10/17/2005 3:12 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Ooooh - Bailey is sooo spooky in her costume, I am cowering under my bed!

I bet if you brought her trick or treating she'd get TONS of candy, and maybe she'd need help eating it? And dogs don't eat chocolate, so you might have to help her with that? Just an idea.

10/17/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Yay! Spooky boo monster is getting better - thank goodness those stitches finally held. And I do feel reassured that I can step in and mattress stitch folks up in a pinch though - who knew?

Love Rogue...must have my own one of these days.

10/18/2005 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woohoo!! Rogue is done and Bailey's on the mend! excellent news all 'round!

10/18/2005 8:48 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

spooky boo monster! squee!

I'm glad Bailey is on the mend!

Rogue is looking spiffy, can't wait to see her sewn up! :)

10/19/2005 9:29 AM  
Blogger The Stitchin' Sheep said...

Ooh, is that an actual, real-live blocking board there? I've heard of them but never actually seen one. They'd have to fold down pretty small for me to have one (like to fit in my luggage), because I've never seen one here in France.

10/19/2005 10:50 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

I knew knitters were good to have around even before reading your story *lol*
If someone is getting their asses kicked around you and you have your needles around, you can TOTALLY stab the bad guy. I'm just saying.

10/19/2005 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home