Monday, October 24, 2005

49 degrees, clear skies

Nary a snowflake in sight. Keep guessing!

I made decent progress on Hourglass over the weekend: I finished the body (a second time) and one sleeve:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The folded-over hems on Rogue made me realize that I didn't want the bulk of two layers of aran-weight yarn around my middle, so I went looking for an edging that would lie flat but not be too obtrusive--I really like the clean simplicity of Hourglass and didn't want to do anything too fiddly on the edges--even seed stitch seemed disruptive. Luckily Anna posted the other day about Annie Modesitt's slip-stitch edging on the Backyard Leaves scarf from Scarf Style, so I adapted that for working in the round, and it looks pretty good, I think.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The working-in-the-round adaptations are
Row 1: *K1, slip 1 yif* to last st, K1
Row 2: slip 1 yib, *P1, slip 1 yib* to end.

It's not quite as elegant as it would be in a finer yarn (see Anna's silk Trudie edging), but it's stockinette-y enough that it blends naturally into the body of the sweater, and it does lie flat. Hurrah!

I made Bailey model the beginning of the second sleeve for you. Disregard the still-unpacked boxes of books in the background.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

That edging looks great - I am definitely going to try the technique when I get the opportunity!

10/25/2005 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice edging!
Bailey looks a bit like Queen Victoria. Was Bailey not amused either?

10/25/2005 1:12 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Very nice edging!

Looks like we might get the snow that you were supposed to...

10/25/2005 2:16 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Nice edging idea. The sweater looks great so far, I really like the tweedy yarn. Elegant handknitted doggy crown ;-)

10/27/2005 6:44 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

I think that came out really well! I've got hourglass on my want list so will have to remember that technique. Bailey is such a doll - is it safe to assume there is biscuit somewhere off to the left? LOL

10/28/2005 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home