Thursday, November 10, 2005

The good kind of self-striping

My parents have been in town for the last few days, which has been nice but tiring, in the way that parental visits can be, especially when you have to fit in your own work after they go to bed. But many good things arose from the visit, not the least of which was I finally confessed to my mom that I found myself completely unable to knit her socks from yarn that was as aesthetically displeasing to me as the yarn she had picked out was. To which she said that she really hadn't wanted socks at all, and that she would rather have a scarf, and could I knit her a scarf out of the sock yarn? To which I said no, because it would still be black with neon pink, green, and yellow stripes, but that I was happy to take her to the yarn store to pick out another yarn for her scarf, and the much more aesthetic result was a few skeins of Kureyon, which I am happily working up into a My So-Called Scarf:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The pattern is easy and pretty--I really like it. But mostly I love this particular shade of Kureyon (Color 150). Here's my favorite bit so far, where it shades from greyish-brown to turquoise, by way of a kind of verdigris.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So pretty. This will be my go-to if I ever get around to a Lady Eleanor, I think.

*************

I've been remiss in not blogging about the yarn I got from Kat as part of Katie's Sock Scrap Swap:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There's Blackberry Ridge (the turquoise), Wildfoote (the small ones in front) and Running Wild (the variegated). Thanks, Kat and Katie, for the chance to try some new yarns!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad your yarn came safe and sound. And it looks like you got some fun stuff. Thanks for playing along!

11/11/2005 8:05 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Ooooh - verdigris. I don't think I've ever actually used that word. Hooray for a new word of the day!

11/11/2005 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really beautiful. Your mom's a nice mom to change her yarn for you. :-)
BTW, thanks for the LE color idea. I've got to go check out Noro in real life...

11/11/2005 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home