Saturday, October 29, 2005

lovelovelovelovelove.

Oh. my. god. Could I love this sweater any more? Dear Joelle Hoverson, you are a genius, and Last Minute Knitted Gifts is my favorite book ever, errata notwithstanding. I feel like someone should tell all the Future Search participants over at Mason-Dixon to throw in the towel, because the perfect sweater? It already exists. And its name is Hourglass.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I mean really. How flattering! How comfortable! How perfect in its simplicity! How completely devoid of fiddly sewing-together! It's not really any sort of technical accomplishment, I know--but didn't I just earn my chops with Rogue? I deserve an easy knit. And did I mention the comfortable? And the flattering? And the lack of finishing? J'adore.

Specs:
Pattern
: Hourglass Sweater, by Joelle Hoverson. From Last Minute Knitted Gifts.
Yarn: Rowanspun Aran in Autumn, all of 5 skeins plus (grr) ten rows' worth from a 6th. Bought on sale from Jimmy Beans Wool. Enjoyable yarn, although very full of nature--lots of bramble bits to be picked out. Sort of a felt-y quality to the yarn. Did not take well to spit-splicing; Russian join was better, although slightly bulkier.
Needles Addi Turbos, size 7, 32" (body) and 12" (sleeves). The 12" took some geting used to but was ever so much quicker than DPNs would hav been.
Mods Replaced folded-over hems with slip-stitch edging to reduce bulk (and finishing). Also, I knit only 8 rows between increase and decrease rounds on the body and increased/decreased 2 more times than called for, making the body 2" longer and a bit more fitted. Added 2" to sleeves as well.
StartedTuesday, October 18
Finished Saturday, October 29.

I leave you with the obligatory just-like-the-book shot.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh Hourglass. I will knit you again, oh yes I will.

P.S. No snow yet. The latest guess I have in Nov. 3. Perhaps we were all too eager? Keep guessing. And if you want to guess again? I believe in do-overs.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashley,

I have to say: how pretty your sweater is, and Oh my, you look so beautiful! It made me really happy to see you there lookin' good and happy! I'm in St. Louis having some fall with ellen and sue. It's lovely too.

I'm wearing the scarf you got me for MLA (birthday 04) and the Jcrew brown hat (spring clearance gone too small 05).

10/29/2005 2:16 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

You look amazing in that sweater! Wow! And, what's that? A smile?

Nice fireplace, too - is that one of the great details in your not-so-new-now apartment?

10/29/2005 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Hourglass looks great! I love the yarn you used. And yes, the pattern is amazing; it flatters everyone.

Count your blessings with the snow thing. We got some today, and it wasn't even below freezing. It was fun for a little while, until it turned into a slushy mess.

10/29/2005 8:31 PM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

It looks fabulous! I can't believe you knit it in 11 days! That is some serious knitting!

10/29/2005 9:41 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Love the hourglass! I wish mine fit like that... It needs to shrink a few inches.. Owell, I might make another one in the future. THat color also looks amazing on you!

10/29/2005 11:16 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hourglass looks great! Lovely color on you. And I like that you chose to do a double knit hem instead of the foldover - if I ever knit this sweater, I'm going to do that, I think... well done!

10/30/2005 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful sweater!!!! I need to get one on my sticks pretty soon here, too!!! XOXO-SP

10/30/2005 9:39 AM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

so far, i think everyone that has made and posted hourglass looks fantastic in it. it's a very body-friendly silhouette. and i'm soooo glad everyone will get it knitted before me so i can learn some lessons and variations before i cast on :) it looks great!

10/30/2005 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sweater looks great... makes me want to knit one. i have soo many projects on my to-do list!

10/30/2005 5:45 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Oh yes, I love this sweater, and it fits you so well! I may have to make one of these. And I just checked the weather forecast for Grand Rapids - its totally warm now and it doesn't look like my November 2 guess is going to win at all.

10/31/2005 3:10 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Your hourglass is SO FLATTERING! Gorgeous in fact...I've really wanted one for a while but now I really want one in red. Hmmm... Oh and since it's been declared that "do-overs" are allowed, I'll submit a second guess (I was WAY off the first time). Let's go with Nov. 12th this time around. :-)

11/01/2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Yes, let me chime in...you look stunning in that sweater. It's such a perfect color on you, too! Hope you get lots and lots of wear out of it!

Tagged you for that knitting meme, babe! If you don't already have the questions, they are on my blog.

As for the snow betting pool....I'm gonna say November 13.

11/03/2005 1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't show up on Bloglines until today, so I missed this post. That sweater is bee-yoo-ti-ful, and fits perfectly. And I peeked at the weather forecast for Michigan, and the next ten days are supposed to be clear. So I'm going to guess Nov. 20. 20 seems like a good, round number.

11/03/2005 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really does look great -- and I'm so impressed by the smile! :-)

11/04/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Shame on me that I did not congratulate you to this sweater before. It it so beautiful and looks so flattering! With all the great projects you are presenting from the Knitted Gifts book, I finally had to order my copy now. Your pictures are very convincing.
And what is this: you can smile!

11/18/2005 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home