Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sockapaloooza Crisis

To refresh.

First we had this:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Yay! So pretty! So colorful! I have nothing but love for this yarn!

Then we had this:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Pretty pattern, but ow--impossible with the sproing-less yarn. Also, it was pooling ickily, which, as we know, I hate.

Then, we had this:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Which grew and grew, until I had turned the heel and was a full pattern repeat up the leg, until suddenly, on Thursday night, my hate for its pooling (one side red and purple, the other side blue and green) caused the white-hot heat of a thousand suns to blaze forth from my eyes and incinerate it. Or I ripped it out, whichever.

Now we have this:

Image hosting by Photobucket

and hi, guess what? I HATE IT. I fixed the pooling problem, but I think I just hate all the colors mashed up together. Hate, hate, hate. But here's the thing; these socks aren't for me. They're for a pal who specified bright, unique colors (and a short leg, thank heavens), and who maybe won't hate them, but rather love them and think that they are beautiful. But I don't know, because if somebody made these socks for me, I would be very, very sad. So I put it to all of you:


If these socks showed up in your mailbox, your response would be:
Yay!
Ew!
Meh.
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave it a Yay! But I will wear just about any color(s) on my feet. If it was a sweater, I'd be with you, not so much on the colors. But I'm always strangly happy when wearing bright socks.

3/19/2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like them. They're bright and fun and they don't pool, and hey, who knows what your pal might or might not like. But I predict that she (or he) will like those socks.

3/19/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I think they're great.

One thing about knitting with variegated yarn is you never know what you're going to get, anything is possible. It's part of the game.

Your sock pal will love them! She/he asked for bright colors and you've delivered!

3/19/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I say yay! too. I love bright colors, even on my feet (I have a pair of bright pink and orange tennies, yes I do), and I would love these socks. And you fixed the pooling problem, which was really persistent and perfectionist of you. I say you're done!

3/19/2006 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the poll, but I was sorry to see that there wasn't a button for "Conduct an intervention on my good friend who is absolutely out of control with her Love Of Knit."

We only asked you to meet us here today because we care about you, and we want you to be well.

3/19/2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

For me, I gave it a Meh, but for a lover of bright unique colors it might be just the thing! I definitely think the last one is the best - no pooling, cute flecks everywhere. I have a hard time with variegated yarn where all the colors aren't in the same family, but perhaps I am a little insane re: sock yarn anyway.

3/19/2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger janna said...

If they were for me, I would love them -- bright colors and made just for me by someone else! As Katie said above, this isn't a sweater, it's socks, and socks can be more,uh..., unique....

3/19/2006 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Yay.
(Well, I'd be so excited to get a package, probably anything would be yay, so maybe I don't count or something...)

3/19/2006 8:36 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

I really like that sock and would be very happy wearing it. It's vibrant and different and I really like the way the yarn seems to have patterned it. But then, I have once or twice been called Pippi Longstocking, I don't know if that's a look you're going for...?

3/20/2006 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[fingers crossed that I'm your pal] I love them!

3/21/2006 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks fabulous...I love the way the colors came out. Great job!

3/21/2006 11:26 AM  
Blogger Karlie said...

I think they're cute! And very bright :)

3/21/2006 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the socks are very pretty!! I love the colors.

3/21/2006 12:15 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

The socks look great - I'm impressed that you took the time to prevent the pooling. Varigated and handpaints can be so tricky. If your pal likes bright colors, then these should be a hit.

3/21/2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

If I'm your pal, send 'em on - they're beautiful! But I don't think I'm your pal. Even still, I like 'em a LOT! :)

3/21/2006 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those aren't my colors, but I do think it looks beautiful--the stripy wavy thing works so well. If she specified that she likes birghts, I think she will love these!

3/21/2006 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would love the socks, because i love handknit socks, no matter what they look like. but, i would have mixed feelings reading about how my sock pal hated the socks she gifted.
sometimes we get seduced by all the pretty colors, which look prettiest twisted up in a hank. i have a wonderful ball of schaefer yarn like that.
i would appreciate reading back and seeing how much effort you put into trying to make a sock that i liked.

5/22/2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home