Saturday, March 11, 2006

Like petals on a wet, black bough

I made it to Austin just in time for my beloved redbuds:

Image hosting by Photobucket

That made me happy.

Coming back to Michigan? That made me sad.

Although the temperatures have been pleasantly springlike since I’ve been back, there’s nary a flower in sight. But—serendipity or foresight?—waiting for me in the mailbox was some Cherry Blossom sock yarn from Sundara. So I knit my own. Behold: Prunus serrulata sockensis.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Yeah, just one so far (and yeah, it’s a little more “pink tiger” than “cherry blossom” with the Jaywalker pattern). But I’ll be casting on for the next tonight, although I think it will be a slightly different color than the first: the second skein seems to have much less the brightest of the pinks.

Image hosting by Photobucket

But, such is the way of nature, and such is the nature of hand-dyed yarns.

If you have a moment tonight, offer up a small sacrifice to the Yarn Goddess on my behalf. Here, with a Sheepy tape measure for scale, are the leftovers from the first sock:

Image hosting by Photobucket

It was kind of a Yarnukkah miracle: I kept knitting, and kept knitting, and the yarn held out, But just barely. Can I get so lucky a second time?

8 Comments:

Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Sorry that you've had to return to somewhere you'd rather not be, but it's nice to have you back in blogland! ;)

The sock is beautiful, and a nice sock-cross-redbud hybrid. The stripes of brown are like twigs threading through the blossoms.

3/12/2006 5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures--both of redbuds and of sock. Good luck with the second one! That yarn definitly looks like it make the coming-back easier. :)

3/12/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I'm sorry you're sad.
:-(

3/12/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

love your post title, love the picture (heehee, socks on a branch), love the sock yarn! hope you had fun while you were in town, though! it'll be spring in michigan before you know it...

3/12/2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Oh, but once spring comes to Michigan, you'll have lilacs. I've lived in San Antonio for 21 years, and I still miss lilacs.... (The sock is gorgeous, btw.)

3/12/2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Uh oh - I lit the incense and did a funky yarn dance in honor of the yarn for your second sock.

I'm sorry your return to Michigan was blech :(

3/12/2006 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Less brightness but still so pretty!
I'm sorry it's all grey there in the cold state. I hope the socks keep you warm. :-)

3/13/2006 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at pink socks makes me smile. The yarn gods are definitely smiling on you right now - let's hope your luck holds out.

I love those little sheepy tape measures - especially since the tape part comes out of her butt - that delights the 8 yr old in me to no end.

3/13/2006 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home