Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pomatomyuck

In search of a little color in my life, last night I cast on for Pomatomi for my Sockapaloooza socks. This activity was accompanied by a rousing rendition of the Pomatomus Chorus. Handel rolled in his grave; Bailey covered her ears. But can I help it if Pomatomus and Hallelujah have the same number of syllables?

Anyway, I am discontent. The Pomatomus has a prettyish side:

Image hosting by Photobucket

and a decidedly yucky side:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Now, as it turns out, I have to frog this little cufflet anyway. (Because I am too stupid to read a pattern, that's why. Oh wait, you mean you want me to knit with a particular size of needle? How unusual!) And it is possible that if I knit this pattern on #2s, instead of #1s, that the blue might disperse itself more widey through the sock, and I might be more pleased with the result. On the other hand, it might not. Also, the Bearfoot is not particularly sproingy, and the K2togTBL which you have to do 6 times every round? Murderous on the hands, and on the needles. So I'm wondering if this is really the best pattern.

Options:
1) Cast on for Pomatomus w/#2s, see where it takes me.
2) Go back to the Stitchionary and make up my own pattern. Which I already did try, but failed to produce anthing satisfactorily fishy, "tiny scales" notwithstanding.
3) Give up on the fish themed socks entirely and begin what will no doubt be a long and fruitless search for a pattern that encourages striping in variegated yarns. Hmm. I wonder where on earth I could find a pattern that does that?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. K2togTBL 6 times each round? That sounds like the antithesis of fun to me. And also potentially ending in the early onset of arthritis. Although it might be a bit better if you go up a needle size. I say, try it out, but if it's still a pain, move on, because otherwise you will hate those socks with a fiery passion before you've even finished the first one.

2/28/2006 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit. Now I'm going to have "POM-atomi!" in my head the rest of the day.

2/28/2006 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that I want you to get arthritis or anything, but darn that's a nifty pattern. I don't think I'd have the patience to do it for someone else though... is that selfish of me? :)

2/28/2006 1:46 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

have you considered Marnie Maclean's Wyvern pattern? Haven't tried it (maybe it's as onerous as this one), but it's scaly, if that's the look you want. Dragon scales, fish scales, whatever.

2/28/2006 2:11 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I think you should try Olga's suggestion first - Don't give up the fish!

2/28/2006 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like both sides of the sock! K2tog TBL is a bit painful, though, and having knitted with the Bearfoot I definitely don't envy you. I might go with metal needles to spare my wooden (or bamboo) from splintering into a million pieces--I generally use Inox for socks anyway.

2/28/2006 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Dragon Scales pattern at the Keyboard Biologist's site? It is scaley and variegated. She hasn't posted the pattern yet, but I'm waiting, too...

http://www.keyboardbiologist.net/knitblog/archives/cat_dragon_socks.html

3/01/2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

I really like the yarn, and I love the Pometty pattern, but I'm not sure about them together. I vote for looking for a fishy pattern you like, and if you find one that works well with variegated yarn on the way, go for it. Anna's Badcaul socks look somewhat scaly to me, and also nice in variegated yarn: maybe you could try cabling your own version?

3/01/2006 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think in the 365 stitch calendar
i found fish scale lace .. had to use it toe up ..
there is a pic of the sox here
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=673406&uid=437157
it's in the 24th album = Socks I designed
but you are right, you need the right pattern .. if the pattern is a astruggle, you won't finish it or wear them

4/03/2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home