Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Juicy

orange fabric


"Kneeling in the keeping room where she usually went to talk-think it was clear why Baby Suggs was so starved for color. There was't any except for two orange squares in a quilt that made the absence shout. The walls of the room were slate-colored, the floor earth-brown, the wooden dresser the color of itself, curtains white, and the dominating feature, the quilt over an iron cot, was made up of scraps of blue serge, black, brown and gray wool--the full range of the dark and the muted that thrift and modesty allowed. In that sober field, two patches of orange looked wild--like life in the raw."


--Toni Morrison, Beloved

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love quilt fabric. Maybe even more than yarn. Those are some lovely samples.

3/14/2006 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUMMY!

3/14/2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

'Life in the raw' - we could really do with some of that at the moment. All here seems to be decaying, grinding to a halt, struggling against the rising sap and this uncomfortable transition into life again.

Thanks for a lovely shot of beautiful brightness to help things over the Ides of March.

3/14/2006 6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oOOh! NIIIICE! What are you going to make out of it?

3/15/2006 5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful excerpt. I love orange, I think it is true about colour invoking feelings. Orange means warm happiness to me.

Are you making a quilt? If so, I am gobsmacked with jealousy.

3/15/2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Beth Roy said...

Oh, I did love 'Beloved'. That quotation perfectly articulates how I'm feeling at this time of year. Living in Western New York - I know I have to get through the tail end of winter - then on to mud season when every thing seems drab - just to get to the other side.

3/15/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I love that passage - what a great reminder that I should dig out Beloved for a good reread!

3/15/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great quote - I love the use of color in that novel.

3/16/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

That is the perfect quote to go with such vibrant fabrics. I ::heart:: Toni Morrison.

3/16/2006 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home