Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Socks of Summer

First, thanks to all who weighed in on the bag lining question. I know I'm being difficult and whiny. But I hate the feeling of giving a gift that's not quite right--especially after I went to all the bother of knitting the outside. So I've decided that I will make one more fabric expedition tomorrow, and look for something cream-colored, perhaps with small purple flowers, and if that doesn't work, I'll just go with what I have.

My sewing fervor has not abated over the past few days, and I have made a few things that I am pleased with, but I decided to venture into zippers yesterday and things got lumpy and botchy. I am determined to conquer the zipper (buying a zipper foot for the machine might help), but after a particularly disatrous stab at a zippered pouch, I decided I needed my feet on the ground again, and cast on for this totally fun project:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Red Sox Sox! I am so pleased at the thought of having them, which you will absolutely understand if you are part of the Nation, but will probably think I am crazy if you are not. I actually bought this yarn (Cascade Fixation) at the beginning of baseball season, but am just getting to them now. It's fine--they'll still be done in time for when it matters.

Now, the thing is, I think I'm going to rip them and start over--I forgot to compensate for the extreme stretchiness of Fixation when I calculated my cast-on, so they're just a bit too big. But before they go, I thought I would show you The Most Perfect Short-Row Toe Ever.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Isn't that pretty? I think I've finally got it nailed, which is good news for my Sockapal2za partner-to-be.

I'll leave you with an extra closeup, so you can admire its goodness. I'm actually a little afraid to rip, for fear that I'll never do such a good job again....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Short row toes are my favorite things ever, and zippers are my least favorite. I hate them with a passion, and I suspect the feeling is mutual. If you ever conquer the zipper you'll have to send your tips my way.

6/10/2005 12:59 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

What a beautiful toe! I don't know how to do socks like that yet, but I am working on it... :)

Have a great weekend!

6/10/2005 1:27 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

The bag is lovely - and nicely proportioned!

For lining my favorite fabric is a nice dishcloth. I kid you not. A martha stewart type, or one of those cool french jacquard ones - I love them for linings!

For a largeish bag I buy two of the and fiddle around with the folding of them until I create a pleat at the bottom of the bag. Then with more creative folding I make little pockets in the lining.

The dishcloths are generally strong, clean easily, wear VERY well and if in my folding expiditions I figure some way to use a hemmed ege, the dishcloth is already hemmed!

Just my suggestion - hope it helps!

PS - Crate & Barrel has some amazing dishcloths!

6/10/2005 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... Red Sox Sox!!! You are such the perfect SP for me ;)... is that giving too much away??

6/12/2005 6:20 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Awesome! Hey, what size needles are you using for the Fixation. I want to try that yarn and am having a hard time believing that I should use a 7.

6/21/2005 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home