Monday, May 23, 2005

HATE YOU TEXAS

Here's a little snap of the thermometer in my car as Bailey and I returned from the park yesterday:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Why? Whyyeeeeeeeee? It is only MAY, people. It is not even SUMMER yet.

It is enough to make a girl not want to knit. But you know what's air conditioned? Yarn stores. Of which I went to two this weekend. I had to! Really! I needed more of the Reynolds Saucy for Via Diagonale, which they only have at the one store, and then I also needed Calmer, for my shrug, which they only have at the other store, so I was forced to visit both. I might maybe have picked up some other stuff too, like maybe some Lorna's Shepherd Sock and yet more Cascade, as a dissertation defense finishing present for myself:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Speaking of which, thank you all for your kinds words on the dissertation front. Y'all know, right, that Blogger is a pain in the ass and won't show email addresses for commenters who don't have Blogger accounts, and sometimes, even if you do have a Blogger account, it won't show your address? So if you leave a comment here and I don't respond, it's not that I hate you or am ignoring you--it's that Blogger hates you.

Anyhoo, after several false starts this weekend having to do with sizing issues (One size? Does not fit all.), I've made about 6 inches of progress on the Calmer shrug. Voila:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I think it is going to be snuggly and pleasing, if totally unneccessary in 103-degree weather.

14 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

103!!! Ouch, that is hot for May :)

Love your new yarn and glad you found solace somewhere nice! I get frustrated with Blogger too, but I still think its better than some other blog sites out there...

5/23/2005 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God.

So not moving to Texas. I get cranky when it's 83.

5/23/2005 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what's worse than it being 103 in Austin this soon?

Having fake leather seats!

5/23/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger MC said...

My yarn store? Not-so-air-conditioned. But I go anyway.

I used to live in Corpus Christi. The months from May to September were one long migraine for me. Here in PA, it will perhaps hit 60 tomorrow. But we get snow...lots and lots of snow. And ice. And then I generally think I would rather have the migraine if it meant some clear, ice-free roads.

5/23/2005 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I'd known you were going to hit both LYS'. I went to HCW on Sunday and was going to hit BYS as well until I found out it's closed on Sundays. D'oh! Who knew?
and yeah. it's stinking hot, eh?

5/23/2005 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in Atlanta for the week, where it's only 80, but my folks refuse to turn on the AC until it gets well into the 90s, so I've been sweating all day. Ever since I started living most of the year in a generally climate controlled environment, these trips home have become something of a shock to my temperate expectations. Hope things cool down enough that you can get some knitting done.

5/24/2005 12:15 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

That heat sounds a bit unbearable...ugh. I'd melt. Love the new yarn though - seeing a basket full of yarn hanks always makes me happy...

5/24/2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger Froggylady said...

Yowza that's hot!

Here I am hating the humidity with only high 80 degree weather.

Beautiful shrug - I love the color!

5/24/2005 4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack. 103 is bad. I remember when I lived in NY in a sixth-floor walk up during 90-degree days I would go to 3 or 4 movies during the summer, no matter how awful they were. The yarn store sounds much better!

5/24/2005 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, now that is pure awful weather. I couldn't live in the Southern part of this country, I'm sure I'd die of heat exhaustion.

Oh congrats on the dissertatoin completion. Tell Bailey it looks like he did a good job helping you.

5/25/2005 12:52 PM  
Blogger whyshewrote said...

I hate (HATE) Texas weather. I live in Dallas and on Saturday, the thermometer in my car read 105 degrees! It's insane :(

5/25/2005 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!! It was 104 here on Sunday. Sorry I am behind in my blogstalking, but work is making me insane and also cranky. Hi! I got something in the mail from you! I haven't opened it yet because I won't be able to pick it up from the mail place until this evening. I am so excited!!! P.S. Ashley, please email me you t-shirt size.

Signed,
Your very inefficient stalker

5/25/2005 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stalker alert! heh heh

p.s. I want a kiddie pool for my yard, only I want one with a built-in temp control so the water doesn't get tepid. All for like ten bucks. Is that so wrong?

5/26/2005 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello there!! Its your secret pal checking in! Just wanted to check out your blog, but I don't see your SP questionnaire info up. But i will send you a little somethin' soon!

5/26/2005 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home