Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Dissertation Sock Details

I've gotten several requests for more info on the Dissertation Socks, so here you go:

Yarn
: Koigu KPPPM in colorway p201

Needles
: 7" Clover DPNs, Size 1

Style
: Toe-up, which I am preferring these days for two reasons: One, you get to try the foot on right away and make sure that it fits, and Two, if you have a specific amount of yarn for the project, say one skein per sock, you don't have to worry about running out before you hit the toe. You make the foot and then keep knitting until there's no more yarn.

Pattern
: These are sort of Frankensocks, the child of many patterns. I used the formula in Priscilla Gibson Roberts's Simple Socks Plain and Fancy to figure out how many stitches I needed to cast on (I personally think the instuctions and illustrations in that book are confusing, but it's worth the price for that formula alone)--I'm specifically not including numbers here, because the book allows you to get such a nice custom fit that what worked for me won't likely work for you. Then I used Wendy's toe-up sock pattern for the toe, worked five rounds in stockinette, and then started the stitch pattern from these socks on the instep (anally making sure, of course, that it was centered). I used Wendy's pattern again for the heel, and continued working only on the instep stitches for one pattern repeat, so I'd have a smoother surface where the socks would be rubbing against the back of my shoe, and then introduced the stitch pattern all the way around (I had to add a few stitches to make the math work). I ended with 10 rounds of 2x2 ribbing.

So there you go! These socks have made me totally addicted to sock-knitting, by the way. Yay socks!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Koigu . . . I love the Koigu . . . I think they soak it in some secret potion that makes you addicted to it.

Way to go on the socks! Brilliant!

5/11/2005 10:49 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

My favorite yarn! Can't wait to see pictures of these pretty babies all finished up! I am just finishing my first pair of socks and want to branch out with a different pattern for the second set (since these are a bit tight around my ankle).

5/11/2005 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really love these socks. i have two skeins of koigu earmarked for 'ashley's socks'

5/12/2005 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, but can I have the pattern for the dog the socks are modeled on. He's really adorable.

Well it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks for sharing your pattern!

5/12/2005 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home