Saturday, April 30, 2005

Ow.

Last night, I was sitting around minding my own business, waiting to get ready to go to a friend's dissertation defense party, when all of a sudden I turned my head to the right and it wouldn't turn back: trying to move my head even a little to the left resulted in whimpering and tears. I'm blaming a combination of dissertation-revision stress, horrible typing posture, and too much cotton knitting.

So instead of going to the party, I stayed home, and instead of working or knitting (my usual thrilling Friday night activities these days), I stuck on a Thermocare heat patch, popped about 18 Advils, got out my beading box and made these

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


while watching
The Iron Giant (soooooo charming by the way; why haven't I seen it before now?).

Some of them might go to my Secret Stitch Marker Pal, but I'm not sure yet--I might wait to find out who I have so that I can blogstalk her and make some that are personalized somehow.

This one, though, is staying with me (in fact, it's already at work on Via):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


The pink! The green! The cloisonne! I'm such a preppy dork.

Anyway, my neck is mostly better now--i.e. I can turn my head both ways--but I think that I am definitely going to have to splurge on a massage after this dissertation nightmare is over.

(Id: "Wait, isn't that money you could spend on yarn?"
Ego: "Yeah, but what good is yarn if you CAN'T TURN YOUR HEAD?"
Superego: "Hi. You're MOVING in three months. Ever heard of a savings account?"

I cannot WAIT to have a real job with real money.)

(PS Bear with me while I audition some new font choices for the blog...)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Non-beader here. Just... um... how is working with eeeensy weeeensy little beads & tiny wires involve less neck stress than knitting?

And haven't you noticed? Pink & green is a very hot color combination this year. Not preppy at all. (Although the cloisonne may still qualify you; I don't remember the Preppy Handbook all that well...)

I hope you're feeling better already!

5/01/2005 12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouchy! I hope that your neck is better today. The stitch markers are very cute!

5/01/2005 8:15 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Valid question from Cordelia--it's because if I kept my head tilted to the right and didn't try any sudden movements, I could use my right arm enough to loop the wire. I used my left hand for the other stuff, though, so that I could do wacky things like, you know, look straight ahead.

5/01/2005 10:02 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Hi Ashley... Love your blog. Glad to find you too with LMKG! I love that book, but gosh, definitely take a bit longer!

Ok, so I haven't looked at your complete profile yet, but what are you getting your Ph.D. in? I started knitting when I was writing my thesis and man, it was definitely a vent for me, but made me procrastinate! I am thinking of going back to school in a year or so, gulp.

Can't wait to read more from your post.... Man, all the knitting blogs out there... :)

5/01/2005 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink and green were made to go together :)

Your stitch markers are beautiful; what kind of rings do you use?

5/02/2005 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, there was this awful six or seven days when neither Jennifer nor I could get to your blog. It would go to your blog for like a fraction of a second and then redirect to the Blogger homepage. We actually discussed the problem ON THE PHONE. So, if you wondered why neither of us have left comments in days, this is why!!! I was finally able to get to your site today! Jen will be totally jealous!!!

Also, I hope it doesn't freak you out that two girls in Los Angeles obsess over your blog!

5/02/2005 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley, if you are looking to start beading or even if you are a pro, this ebook beading craft offer will be great for you. Please take a look at this beading craft ebook website. You will get 2 great bonuses if you make a purchase.
Your blog is great and I have enjoyed reading through – well done.

11/24/2005 5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home