Monday, April 25, 2005

Free Time=Yarn

All this free time . . . what is a girl to do?

Oh, right:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That's to make Via Diagonale as a thank-you present for my advisor. I went with Cascade Superwash instead of cotton, because it's going to have to be a pretty quick knit, and I didn't want to deal with hurty hands. Luckily M is in LA for 10 days so I should be able to get in plenty of uninterrupted knitting time before he gets back. (Oooh, did I say luckily? I meant, um, sadly. Hi honey! Miss you! Toodles!)

So I went to the yarn shop with a purpose--that being the above yarn--but then while I was there I was overcome with a fit of self-indulgence and also got this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hmm, a little Mango Moon Recycled Sari Yarn. What? It was by the register. Also, it is a Good Deed to buy this yarn, because it supports charity. Which I am such a self-deluder about, by the way, like, Hey, your yarn supports a hard-working women's co-operative in Nepal? Here--have a zillion of the American dollars. It's for charity! And nothing at all to do with my selfish American consumerism!

Anyhoo, I think I am going to make a summery little bag out of that.

Meanwhile, y'all should truck over to see Anna's amazing creation, Sally. It is allegedly her first design, but I think she has been practicing in secret or something because you would swear that it was out of a Rowan mag. The i-cord! The ruffles! The matching stripes! I'm in awe.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it great when you can buy delicious stuff and know that you are really doing a good deed by doing it? i found our local grocery store is now stocking fair trade chocolate cake. Of course I bought one, and we ate it all up, because if it's a good deed to buy chocolate cake today, surely an equally good deed to buy another one tomorrow? its even better than saving money by buying items that are reduced.

4/26/2005 11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... free time means your dissertation is done?

Yay, you!! You *totally* deserve some charitable donations!

4/26/2005 2:29 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Love the yarn...the colors in that recycled Sari are gorgeous. I agree that Sally is quite lovely and suspiciously fab for a first design - haha! ;-)

4/26/2005 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home