Monday, May 16, 2005

Shedir? I don't even know her!

Oh, I am soooo funny.

So here, after all the drama, is the lovely Shedir:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And a view from the top:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

How cool is that? (Meanwhile, it is much, much harder than you would think to take a picture of the top of your head. Go on, try it.)

Deets:
Pattern: Shedir, by Jenna Wilson, from the Knitty Fall Surprise 2004.
Modifications: Completed only 4 main cable repeats rather than 5.
Yarn: Rowan Calmer, Peacock, less than one ball (about 15 yards left over)
Opinion? Looooove it. I will make this hat again for sure. The cabling got much easier as I went along--I found the rhythm somewhere in the 3rd repeat and it was all downhill from there (except for the part where I had to frog half the hat and redo it.) I was going to return the 2nd ball of Calmer, but instead I am going to use it in conjunction with the remnants of the first ball to make a version for myself with longer ribbing, so I can turn it up, and then I am going to make another one in the leftover Lush from Bella. I'll probably make some for Christmas gifts too. My only complaint is that I couldn't avoid making little holes on the increases between the ribbing and the cables, which you can see quite clearly right in the middle of my forehead here:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

(You can also see quite clearly how many late nights of dissertating and knitting I have had lately. Hello, undereye bags!)


To sum up: Shedir? Me likey.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of this hat! HUGE. It's gorgeous. No one is going to notice those little holes you mention, they will too busy being dazzled.

5/16/2005 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You call those undereye bags? That's nothing at all. You should see my eyes after I've had a full night's sleep. Shedir looks great. Did you try to knit into the back of the increases? Twisting the stitch usually closes those holes up.

5/16/2005 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one will notice the holes, what they'll notice is how great it looks! Nice work! A hat in Calmer would be delightful. Awesome idea.

5/16/2005 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy moly ashley that's spectacular. did you do cabling without a cable needle? the cables look small enough to do that.

5/16/2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

That came out gorgeous! I am going to have to write the name of the pattern down and find it somewhere... Great job!

5/16/2005 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shedir looks Fabulous!!! I have a few stray balls of Calmer that may just be headed for this pattern now that you have inspired me...

5/17/2005 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great hat! (And, I don't know if you've checked the picture on the web? no bags. Really. None.

5/17/2005 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, the top is so pretty, and flower-like, and also... notice that it fits? A real-sized head? Amazing talent you have! I envy it!

You are so cute :) I see no under-eye bags!!!

5/25/2005 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home