Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I'm SEW crafty!

Come on, like you didn't see that one coming?

Last night I tackled the sewing. And here is what I have to say: Sewing is totally fun! And takes sooooo much less time than knitting! Why didn't anyone tell me about this before? Here's what I kicked out last night, with the help of Mariko's great pattern:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Two super-cute tote bags! The bigger one (about 12 x 18) was a practice project for me--I didn't want to mess around with the lining for my advisor's bag or with that Amy Butler fabric until I felt pretty sure that I wouldn't screw things up. I'm really happy with how it came out though, and I love the two fabrics together:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then I got all show-offy and decided to make a second, smaller one (5 x 7) as a birthday present for a friend, and kicked it up with some decorative stitching:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Like little sharks' teeth! I'd take credit for the cute, but you know what? The sewing machine did it all. Yay sewing machine!

Next up: zippers. Wheeee!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, find the instant gratification of sewing attractive, but the attraction has yet to be enough for me to tackle the mysteries of all the little levers and buttons. Or sew something in a straight line, for that matter. But your bags look great, and maybe I'll give the sewing thing another go. But probably not.

6/08/2005 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually hate sewing although i wish i would like it. i think perhaps a large part of the problem is that my sewing machine is 100 years old - actually its more like 40 years old it would probably work better if it WAS 100 years old. it also scares me to make a mistake, sewing. the bags are beautiful. i'll have to have another try, maybe with a borrowed, working sewing machine. there's just no rage like the rage induced by a machine that doesn't work properly.

6/08/2005 5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice!
Cara
earth mother

6/08/2005 9:06 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

I don't have a sewing machine, but have been thinking about getting a cheap one. I do a decent amount of sewing by hand, but would love to start making cute totes like yours! So, thanks for the inspiration!

6/08/2005 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whee! aren't the tote bags fun to sew? Good job!

6/08/2005 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUPER cute bags Ashley! Oh, and thank you soooo much for the headsup on the sockapalooza! I got in!!

Gaile
fidgetybudgie

6/08/2005 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home