Wednesday, June 01, 2005

About freakin' time.

Oh, Memorial Day weekend. What a lovely barbecue-y, mini-golf-y, poker-winning-y (ok, second place, but $10 is $10) weekend it was. And yet all those activities somehow prevented me from working as assiduously as I might have on my shrug. But last night I stayed up until 3 AM knitting and seaming, and finished everything up today while waiting to get my oil changed. Yay responsible multitasking! Here's the result (and please pardon the lint on the mirror--I actually bothered to wipe off the toothpaste spots for y'all but then forgot to do a second pass for paper--towel detritus):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I think it's very cute, although try explaining the shrug, as a concept, to a room full of non-knitters who don't shop much. (Marc, trying to be helpful: "So it's like a halter top that makes people look at your boobs!")

I also think the tank top I am wearing under it is cute, and damn if I didn't buy it yesterday at the Target specifically so I could wear it with the shrug. Come to think of it, I might have bought quite a few things yesterday at the Target, including the barette that I am temporarily using as a shrug pin:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I think it works, actually, although it is definitely more in dress-down mode. A fancier pin might make the shrug fancier as a whole, although Calmer really produces a more nubbly, homespun-looking fabric that probably isn't going to ever be super-dressy. I think this would have been a whole different garment if I had knitted it in the recommended Soy Silk.

Hmm, but perhaps a gerber daisy will dress it up?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thanks secret pal!!

Final deets on the Regency Defense Shrug:
Pattern: Regency Shrug, by Mary Jane Mucklestone (from the Summer 2005 IK Staff Project), with modifications to make it fit a non-Olsen twin (so much so, in fact, that I added 10 inches across the pattern from cuff to cuff and about 3 inches vertically)
Yarn: Rowan Calmer, Coffee Bean, 4.5 balls
Started: May 25, 2005,
Finished: June 1, 2005
Recipient: ME! To wear to my dissertation defense.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's done! And done well. Like your dissertation, I'm sure. .

The Gerber pin looks good. It needs something bold, I think.

6/01/2005 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shrug looks great, and you pull it off beautifully. Your account of others' perplexity over the shrug concept reminded me why I have been wary of the shrug fad, above and beyond my conviction that I would look extraordinarily silly in one:

When I was in high school, there was this girl in my class who used to try so hard to dress trendily, but always failed miserably. She had a pair of FuBu jeans that she wore with Tims, but the jeans would be ironed so you could see the creases down the front, and she'd always have her shirt tucked into her jeans. Well, one day she showed up wearing this tube top that looked like it was going to migrate south at any moment, not because she was unendowed, but because her posture was that bad. And on top of the tube top, she was wearing, you guessed it, a shrug. This was about six or seven years ago, long before the shrug was remotely fashionable, and hers was shiny and intended to be a bit slinky, but on her it was just absurd. The bad posture highlighted the growing gap between the shrug and the quickly sinking tube top, and to the rest of us, who'd never come into contact with a shrug before, the whole concept was patently ridiculous. It seemed like the most useless piece of clothing ever, and became instantly unfashionable by association, something that persists in my mind in the face of fashion's changing dictates. No matter how many lovely shrugs I see, I can't help but think of her bright red and alarmingly low tube top and the silver shrug on her hunched shoulders, and I'm afraid I'll never be able to knit one.

6/02/2005 12:53 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Yay dissertation defense. I say that if anyone gives you crap during it, just say, "hey man, could you make this... I didn't think so!" He he

I think it looks beautiful! Nice job :)

6/02/2005 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat-o! And perfect use for it: better than liquid courage in the face of a dissertation committee!

6/02/2005 2:00 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Love the shrug...particularly the sleeves for some reason. I like that cable down the middle and the length is perfect. Nothing "meh" about it! ;-) I'm also falling hard for Bailey - what a freaking charmer with that red bone...awwww.

6/02/2005 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very, very cute. I know what you mean, non-knitters just sometimes don't understand.

6/02/2005 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you finished! ok i will finish THIS EVENING (what do you mean it isn't a race?). It looks lovely, don't blame you for buying the little embroidered tank - too darling! congrats on a piece well finished, good choices, and an FO that you will wear and wear

6/03/2005 6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SP here! Glad you got my card... I almost thought that I did sned you a pin for a moment! Now I wish I had! The shrug looks very cute, congrats on finishing it.

6/03/2005 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home