Thursday, January 26, 2006

The bullet I thought I could dodge.

Dear Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport, Colorway Black Pearl,

I thought we could work things out. I swatched with you so dilligently, trying to find a pattern that would make us both happy: I'd get your pretty colors and insane softness, you'd get to display those colors in stripes, rather than big, ugly pools that would make me hate you and wish you'd never been born. And for a time, I thought we'd figured it out. You, me, the size two needles, the tuck-and-rib pattern from the Vogue Knitting Stitchionary--we had chemistry. It was beautiful.

Image hosting by Photobucket

But then. Oh, then. I had to go and switch things up. I was just looking for a little variety, a little novelty in our relationship. I mean, I know we'd only been together for a couple of days at that point, but it was time to try something new and exciting, something that would help us move forward together even faster. It was time for size three needles.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Why? Did it really make that much of a difference to you? It was such a small change, such a little thing. And yet it totally changed our relationship. It was, as they say, a rough patch. Frankly, I wasn't sure we were going to make it. But we'd come that far together, and I guess I thought I owed it to both of us to keep going. After all, relationships are about compromise, right?

I've gotta say, though, I'm glad you came back to your senses when I threw in some calf increases.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Because really, there's only so much I can give.

Love,
Ashley

******************

Dear knitting socks with sport-weight wool as opposed to fingering,

I love you. Will you marry me?

Love, Ashley

******************

Dear Bailey,

I'm not at all sorry that I put my super extra long sock on your snoot to try to make you look like an elephant for my blog.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I'm only sorry that you couldn't hold still for one goddamn second while I took a picture.

But if you could please not eat me in my sleep, I'd appreciate it.

Love,
Ashley

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

Bailey looks scared.

1/26/2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

If I lived nearby, I'd set you up on a blind date with nearly solids Lorna's.

1/26/2006 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extra long sock in sportweight - brilliant idea. I hope you're feeling better too, the flu sucks. Do you have to teach? Bailey is such a handsome sweetie!

1/26/2006 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love bailey as an elephant! fab socks!!

1/27/2006 1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks! And the picture of Bailey with the sock nose is too funny.

1/27/2006 7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture! And I'm liking the socks, even with the varigated difficulties.

1/27/2006 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee-hee

1/27/2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Thank you for the much needed laugh, Ashley! Bailey makes a bad elephant.

Those socks are cute, even in the size 3's striping pools of color.

1/27/2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I ::heart:: Bailey the Jiggly Elephant. Thanks!

1/30/2006 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home