Sunday, January 08, 2006

Dammit

I had a long and witty post about where I'd been (Pennsylvania) and why I hadn't been blogging (dial-up. Hate you dial-up! Hate you so much!) and then Blogger ate it. Hate you Blogger!

Here's what was important:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Hawk Will Never Die, last seen with one sleeve left to go, was completed, with much ripping and reknitting of the above-the-armpits stuff, on the 23rd--two whole days before Christmas!

Unfortunately, I'm not super excited about the finished product. I really wish I had used a worsted-weight yarn, rather than a bulky, not least because when I was doing the raglan decreases, I ended up having to K3 (or SSSK, depending) to get the appropriate combination of length and width, and it looks lumpy:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Blech. Problem two, it's hella hot. Nevertheless, the Pinto Bean (my BIL) seemed really excited about it, and put it on right away, as did my sister with my much-coveted hat and scarf set. Aren't they cute?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sadly, this is not yet quite an FO, since it binds a little in the pits--I'm going to rip the top back again and do some adjusting--but it's near enough for an FO Roundup.

The Hawk Will Never Die
Pattern: My own. (although next time? Just get a freakin' pattern.)
Yarn: Lambs Pride Bulky; 4 skeins Medieval Red, 5 skeins Creme
Needles: 10.5: Brittany DPNs for sleeves and collar; random plastic circs for body
Started: December 6, 2005
Finished: December 23, 2005

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything looks great--the hat, the scarf, the sweater, and especially the super-happy smiles on your sister's and BIL's faces from getting fabulous hand-knit gifts :)

I learned a little trick from Branching Out about decreasing away two stitches while making a left leaning decrease. Instead of SSSK, try this: slip 1, k2tog, PSSO. On the right-leaning decreases, I used a K3tog and it came out pretty symmetrical.

1/08/2006 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love how the sweater came out--I really like the raglan with different colored sleaves style. Good luck with the tweaking.

1/08/2006 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks great -- and your BIL seems to like it! :-) Good luck with the fixing...

1/08/2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I agree with everyone here--your sister and BIL won't notice the decreases, they're so psyched about the finished product!

That sucks eggs about the Blogger post. I've had that happen to me with Yahoo email, so now I try and remember to select and copy all the text right before I send it (if it's a long piece), just in case the thing wigs out on me.

1/08/2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

You say 'hella-hot'; I say 'hella-warm'. I never take off my Skully in the winter (it's made of LP Bulky).

Beautiful gifts. How was PA? I *just* got back last night.

1/09/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I hate when it eats posts but The Hawk looks awesome. Oooh, I like that trick Parikha suggested for the multi decreases. The Hawk doesn't look all that bulky, it looks great. They look so happy too!

1/09/2006 5:37 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Love the sweater and the hat! Look at you guys.. so happy!

1/09/2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Welcome back, Ashley! I agree with everyone else - I think the sweater looks great. Mad props to you for knitting it without a pattern. and I love your sister's scarf and hat, totally cute. Hope you had a good holiday.

1/09/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Welcome back! Nice sweater design, your sister and BIL look very happy with their gifties!!

1/10/2006 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home