Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Holiday Knitting

What else did I knit over break?

A majority of my knitting time was spent on my Dad's Secret Gift Vest--he asked for it to be made about two inches longer, so I ripped back to the armholes and added in a repeat and a half of the cable pattern. Et voila:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(My dad: "Are you going to put that on the internet?"
Bailey: "Iloveyouiloveyoupleasepayattentiontomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!")


It was a pain to redo, but he wore it like 8 times after I finished it, so I'm glad I put the work in. I also renewed my obsessive love of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed--I must make myself something out of it.

I also knit but did not photograph a final minisweater, with a Texas Longhorn on it (although it kind of maybe looked more like a reindeer) and, as very last-minute Christmas gift, a pair of LMKG armwarmers in the leftover Rio de la Plata from my sister's hat.

Then I spent many hours on these:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Which are really these:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I just liked that closeup. Both of these hats were attempts to knit myself something that I loved as much as my sister's hat. I totally failed. The striped one--cute, but not for me. Plus it doesn't fit; I think I might send it to Dulaan or something. It's knit, incidentally, out of some totally sketchy Debbie Bliss Cashmerino knockoff I picked up at my parents' local craft store, AC Moore:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We don't have AC Moore here, but I wish we did, because I would Live the Fantasy ALL THE TIME. OMG so soft. I like calling acrylic microfiber, don't you? It makes it sound so much classier.

The maroon hat I actually have been wearing quite a bit, but I've decided it needs a makeover. First of all, it's a bit airy: it's Lorna's Shepherd Worsted (in Manzanita) which I love love love--so soft and cuddly--but I knit it on 7s, and I think it really wants to be on 6s or maybe even 5s. And second, the teeny tiny stripe in it is the last scraps of the Manos from my sister's hat and scarf and I want MORE.

So I got more.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Bwahahahaha. Soon my hat too will be insanely cute.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dad is so cute. And I love the Manos; what a beautiful color. Have fun knitting it!

1/10/2006 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lion Brand just came out with a Cashmerino knockoff, which, incidentally, is on sale at Joann.com right now.

Love the hats! Your willingness to rip anything out to make it better is most admirable.

1/10/2006 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, your willingness to rip something and get it right is downright inspiring. I'm so lazy that I always try to convince myself that whatever I've just finished is fine the way it is, even though it usually isn't. The hat looks great now, and it'll look even greater after the makeover.

1/10/2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

I thought the hat was darn cute as it was - I can't wait to see it with more of that...drool...manos. I honestly don't know if I would have the will to rip it back when it's already finished though - I am impressed.

1/10/2006 3:10 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Good for you on getting the Manos! Post-holiday self-indulgence is what I'm all about these days.

I fourth that motion about your frogging fearlessness. The hat I made my dad was just too big on him, because he's got significantly less hair than I do. (It fit *me* fine.) But you know, that diagonal rib, what a pain. So with his blessing (cause he wasn't going to wear it anyway), I regifted it to my mom, who is one hat-lovin' woman. See? All parties are happy.

1/10/2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I love your dad's vest. It looks like it fits perfectly. It is so important to make things fit well when you knit for other people. Otherwise they will dread handknitted gifts.

I like the hats! Some charity is going to be very lucky.

1/10/2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Excellent job on the vest! Really nice that it fits so well.

I'm drooling over the Manos right now. I'm on a spending freeze now that Rock Star and I are getting a house.

1/10/2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

The vest looks great, and you're dad is a good sport for posing on the internet! I wish I could live the fantasy, but there's no AC Moore in NYC either.

1/10/2006 7:46 PM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

I live the fantasy ALL the time! That is what my in-progress Branching Out is made of. I even have that EXACT picture! The yarn is fantastic!

1/10/2006 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for insanely cute! that hat's gonna rock the cuteness right into spring!!

1/13/2006 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home