Saturday, January 21, 2006

Entrelac and a Meme

Several people have commented or mentioned in email that entrelac looks hard. Well, as I or anyone who's knitted Lady E or a Market Squares bag or Danica can tell you, it's actually easy as pie. What it is, at least for me, is really hard to visualize, just from looking at the patterns, which are all "tier 2" and "side triangle" and "huh?" So. Here's what entrelac looks like.

Essentially, you're making short rows without the wraps, so that little sections of your knitting can grow up independently of each other. Once you've got the set-up row done (just follow the pattern; it won't seem like it makes sense, but it does in the end) you'll start building some little blocks, which, again, exist separately of one another, like crenellations, as long as we're being medieval about it:

Image hosting by Photobucket

To build the next tier, you'll be picking up stitches between those crenellations, along the top of the block below:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Then you SSK (or p2tog on the WS) to join this new block to the next crenellation.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Then you can either turn your work and purl back over the new stitches, or if you are smart you will learn to knit backwards, which I did not until about 40 inches in, because I am dumb. I'm smart now though.

Then, knit back over the new stitches, slipping the first stitch, SSK, and repeat. Gradually, the new block will incorporate the stitches from its neighbor:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Once you've got that block done, just move to the next. See? Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

*****
Olga tagged me for a meme, so here goes:

The Quirk Meme: Things You May Not Need to Know About Me:

1. I have the ashes of my before-Bailey dog, Snickers, in a can inside of a shoebox in my closet.

2. I am seriously addicted to Diet Coke. I'm a four-can-a-day drinker.

3. I'm actually a pretty good cook, and can make perfectly yummy food (like the lovely chicken piccatta I made last night), but I have a serious soft spot for incredibly disgusting white trash food like Hamburger Helper, or my favorite-heh-casserole: spaghetti with canned turkey gravy and french cut (because then it's fancy) green beans. Or this awesome white-trash version of pain au chocolat: Nutella rolled up in Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Admit it: you want to go make them right now.

4. I hate feet. Like, skin-crawling, stomach-turning hate. Please, internets: stop showing me pictures of half-knitted socks with people's feet sticking out of them.

5. I always get a milk (wine, juice, coffee...) mustache. I think my mouth might be shaped funny.

6 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

I've never tried entrelac, but I find that what you said is true of most knitting instructions that look oh-so-difficult and mysterious...you actually have to sit down and try it, and it will only make sense when you do it. When I first started to knit, there was a lace edging on a baby blanket I admired but was totally intimidated by, and my knitting instructor (she was so awesome) said, you can do that. Mind you, I'd only been knitting for a couple of months. She sat down with me and read me the instructions, stitch by stitch, and lo and behold, I was able to knit lace! So cool!

I confess, I was riveted by your quirk #3. I also love all that stuff (especially Tuna Helper), and yes! I do want to go make those Nutella Rolls! Right now!

1/21/2006 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? Entrelac is only just short rows? I always thought it involved torturous binding off and picking up stitches every time you make a new block...

I confess to being guilty of #3, too. It's Kraft Macaroni & Cheese for me. Not the deluxe stuff with creamy sauce. I'm talking the $.80/box, strange artificial orange powder Mac & Cheese. Mmmm...

1/21/2006 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I love the look of entrelac, I hate, despise and try to avoide at all costs the picking up of stitches.

My white trash food confession - Stouffer's Mac and Cheese. Love the stuff.

1/21/2006 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm... Nutella...

I'm a Diet Dr. Pepper lady myself. But I'm up to about 4 cans/day too.

(re: Jodi's comment: I love that you used to keep a foil in the house. Do you still fence?)

1/21/2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

My trashy food item is ham salad. On white bread with extra mayo, of course.

1/23/2006 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just learning to do Entrelac, this site is helpful. When doing a return just get messed up, seems I should be on the other end of the needle to continue. So, for myself DNP work better...have problem with increasing angles. Anyway, nice site.

Thanks: )

2/10/2007 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home