Sunday, January 22, 2006

Who can wait for natural light?

Image hosting by Photobucket

Done!

Pattern: Broadripple, by Rob Matyska. There used to be a Koigu adaptation on the Threadbear website, but I can’t find it there anymore. Essentially, you cast on 72 stitches instead of 56 and distribute the extras evenly.

Yarn: Koigu 411, 2 skeins. Although you can’t really see it in the photo, the 2 socks, although ostensibly from the same dyelot, are pretty different in color. Go figure.

Needles: Clover Bamboo Size 1s, my standard for Koigu socks. Bound off with Bryspun 3s.

Notes: When I first saw the Jaywalkers (do I even need to link?), I (like Olga) thought, hey! Those are just like Broadripples! Well, they’re similar, but I think, in the end, Broadripples have a big advantage. Word on the blog street is that the Jaywalkers don’t have a lot of give to them. The Broadripples have that straight section between the chevron bits, which has a more give than the slanted stitches, and if you really wanted to up the stretch quotient, you could even rib that part. They don’t look as cool as the Jaywalkers, maybe, but they have more fit options, which is what you want in a sock.

Begun: July 2005
Finished: January 22, 2006, during the Steelers’ AFC Championship victory. Which rocks because I heart Jerome Bettis.

13 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Beautiful! Good to know about the Jaywalkers vs. Broadripple. I like socks that have give, so I might reconsider starting Jaywalkers :) HOWEVER, I am sad about the Broncos loosing (remember, I'm from CO).. however, Betty is a good player, so I'll give you that ;)

1/22/2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger laurie said...

very nice :o) broadripples are on my 'to do' list as well...i've got a copy of the koigu version saved on my hard drive if you need it (though i'm guessing you already have it), and i'll nudge matt (who's been working on updating the website) that the pattern has disappeared.

1/22/2006 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great--I'm with you that Broadripple is a great pattern (although I am biased, since my school is just blocks away from the neighborhood they were named after.) It's fun seeing all the fans reference their teams on their blogs this morning... another reminder of how spread out the blogs I read are. :)

1/23/2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Really nice socks! I need to get started on some more socks...

1/23/2006 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, how pretty! I think Broadripple looks just as cool as Jaywalker. Maybe even a little bit cooler, because they're harder to come by than Jaywalker...

By the way, my kitchen has the EXACT same pink tile all over the walls.

1/23/2006 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! They look comfier than Jaywalkers, as well as very shiny, although that might be the reflection of the flash...

1/23/2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute!

1/23/2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

they're awesome! and they have a lovely sheen to them (is that the flash?). i'm still working away on my second sock and making some progress on the cuff. can't wait until they're done! maybe even before it gets hot again here. ;-)

1/23/2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Pretty colors - awesome socks. I'll echo Olga and say I hope to knit another pair of socks before it gets hot again, which could be any day now...

1/23/2006 5:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

yours look GREAT! (i confess, your picture had me fooled! when i saw the picture i thought, oh just another jaywalker...lol)

1/23/2006 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOCKS! Love them! Koigu is weird like that isn't it? Dyelot seems to mean nothing - the only time I was in a situation to purchase koigu, I eyeballed it for the closest match. It is still in my stash though.

I'm working jaywalkers right now, and nope, there is not much give.

1/24/2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

I LOVE em!! Great color... I cracked up over the things you don't need to know about me as well. Sometimes a girl just needs some Hamburger Helper!!

1/25/2006 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash you may or may not remember this, but Jerome Bettis was in my apartment at college for maybe all of 1/2 an hour, once. Ahhh, memories.

1/27/2006 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home