Thursday, March 24, 2005

Oh man...

Apparently, I'm starting a knit blog.

Why? It's not like the world needs another one. And it's not like I have a lot of spare time these days. But I wanted to have a place where I could keep a record of what I'm creating, what I'm learning, and what I've done, and I hope that I get to become part of the fun and supportive community of knitbloggers that I've observed over the past few months. I don't know a lot of knitters in real life, and I'd welcome the opportunity to share ideas, techniques, etc. with people who understand and care about this craft. But even if no one ends up reading this but me, I know I'll want to have the information that I plan to put in this blog as a record of my progress as a knitter.

A little about me, just in case: I'm a graduate student living in Austin, TX. My current projest is my biggest one: I'm trying to finish a dissertation on 19th century nationalist novels (by April 22nd, no less). This is important, because I have to start a job in the fall: I'll be moving to Michigan at the beginning of August. I'll miss Austin, but really, Austin is no place for a knitter-it's only cold here for, like, 2 days a year. When I found out I would be moving to Michigan, I bought A LOT of yarn. Yay sweaters!

I've been knitting since the summer of 2002; my mom and my aunt taught me between them. My first project was the obligatory scarf in an itchy gray worsted; since then I've branched out into, well, more scarves. And an afghan, 4 baby blankets, several hats, wrist warmers, felted handbags, pot holders and whatnot. I'm about to embark on a lot of sweaters, though (see below), and I'm looking forward to bigger, more adventurous projects.

Currently on the needles:

  • Bella, designed by the incredibly helpful Jillian Moreno, for my mom. This is all done, except for some blocking and ruffling; I made some modifications to the pattern, but I'll talk about those later.

  • Socks, in a self-patterning Lana Grossa yarn. I have one sock finished, and about 1 inch of the other one. Sadly, I decided that I didn't much care for the colors (pink, green, and baby-poo brown), but I'll persevere.

  • Fluffy Cuff mittens, from S'n'B. The mittens are in a yummy chocolate merino, and the fluffy cuffs are some anonymous cream-colored boucle that I bought from my LYS about 3 years ago. These are about 75% (i.e. 1 and a half mittens) complete

  • Slip stitch scarf in a gorgeous tweedy alpaca that I bought in Philadelphia between Job interviews this December. I've got about a foot done.



Projects in the wings:

  • Hourglass Sweater, from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, in a dark gray cashmere blend from elann

  • Lara Sweater, from Debbie Bliss's Alpaca Silk Book, in Alpaca Silk Color #12 (a yummy dark berry)

  • Honey, from Rowan's Ribbon Twist book, in a gorgeous vibrant orange bulky merino from Hand Pained Yarn

  • Salt Peanuts, from IK Fall 2004 (I think), in chocolate-colored Karabella Aurora 8 merino

  • Koigu socks, pattern to be determined

  • Amish Rug, from IK Spring 2005



Anyway, that's a start, I suppose. Welcome to the world, little knit blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home